Suitable for all sorts of occasions from Royal wedding parties to GBBO dinner parties. This trifle will steal the show at parties with its fun Union Jack top made from berries.
- Hull and chop any large strawberries and put into a bowl with raspberries and blueberries, sprinkle over the icing sugar and give everything a gentle mash with a fork. Set aside to macerate.
- Lay the Madeleines in the bottom of a large trifle bowl, spread out to fill the gaps as much as possible. Drizzle over the Marsala wine if using. Once the berries look juicy, spoon half of them, with their juice, over the cake and leave to soak in.
- Whip together the custard and mascarpone until smooth and spoon half over the berries spreading to the edges. Spoon over the rest of the berries then top with the remaining custard.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and spoon 2/3 over the trifle and level.
- Use the extra berries to create a Union Jack pattern leaving a gap between each colour. Using a narrow piping tip, pipe the remaining cream between the berries to create the white parts of the flag.