This looks super impressive but is pretty simple to make. What is there not to love , shortbread, jelly and strawberries! Serve with whipped cream or thick crème fraiche for the perfect dessert.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Line a 20 x 30cm baking tray with parchment paper. Beat the softened butter and sugar together in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in the flour and vanilla paste until you get a smooth paste. Spoon the mixture into the tin and using the back of a spoon press the mixture into the tin smoothing it out into all the corners, making sure it is level. Prick all over with a fork and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until pale golden brown.
- Set aside to cool then turn out onto a wire rack using the parchment paper to help lift it out and leave to cool completely.
- Make up the jelly according to the packet instructions and leave to cool.
- Using the same baking tray as the shortbread line the base and sides completely with cling film making sure it is lovely and smooth. Arrange the strawberry slices in the tin on top of the cling film then pour over the cooled jelly. Place in the fridge and leave to set, this will take a couple of hours.
- When the jelly and fruit is set you can now assemble the dessert. Place the shortbread on a large board and spread the strawberry jam all over the top of the shortbread. Carefully remove the jelly and fruit from the tin and using the cling film invert (tip over) onto the shortbread getting it lined up with the shortbread as much as you can. Peel away the cling film and then cut into squares or bars and serve with cream.